As of June 1st, 2015, The City of Emporia offers the convenience of residential curbside, single stream (also known as single-sort) recycling to all single-family and multi-family units of four or less. Eligible households will receive a polycart with a green lid for recyclables. While the program is not mandatory, residents are encouraged to participate.
The City of Emporia follows a Recycling Schedule biweekly on the resident's designated trash collection day. View the Recycling Schedule Map (PDF) for your collection day.
Single-stream recycling means no sorting of recyclables. All permitted recyclable materials including paper, cardboard, glass, metals, and plastics may be combined and placed into your new cart with the green lid. (See Yes list.)
Recyclables are picked up and transported to a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) where they are sorted, processed and sold for reuse.
Permitted recyclable materials must be placed in the cart with the green lid.
- Do not bag recyclables
- No items smaller than 2 inches (remove caps and lids)
- Rinse off food residue
- Paper materials must be clean and dry
- Flatten cardboard boxes and cartons
- Do not flatten plastic bottles, jugs, metal or aluminum cans
- Do not use one container - for example, a plastic coffee can - and pack it tightly with crushed aluminum cans or plastic bottles. If that is the case, this will be considered trash.
- Do not crush aluminum cans, PET bottles, HDPE milk and other containers. Please leave those whole otherwise, they either fall through the screens and end up going out with the trash, or the machines don't recognize what the container is and requires hand sorting.
Recycling carts may not be used for trash, yard waste or any material other than permitted recyclable materials. (See No List.)
Tell Your Friends
Apartments of more than four units and residents outside the city limits are not currently eligible for the city's curbside recycling program but may continue to use the drop centers at the South Avenue facility or Thursday noon to Friday noon at Dillon's. Recyclables will no longer have to be sorted.
Did You Know?
- In 2020 Emporia shipped 34,190 tons of trash.
- In 2020 Emporia recycled 1,092 tons of processed curbside recycling mater.
- In 2020 Emporia processed 4,840 tons of trees and brush for the year.
Your participation in curbside recycling will help us double or triple our current residential recycling volumes.