Recycling Center & Trailers
The City of Emporia's recycling efforts began in 1989 and over 2000 tons of recyclable materials are accepted and processed annually. Revenue generated from sales is returned to the program. The Recycling Center and equipment was purchased in part by grant money provided by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.
- Slick paper
- Office paper/junk mail
- Aluminum cans/other aluminum
- Tin cans
- Container glass
- Plastics numbered 1 through 7
Please remove lids from plastics and rinse containers. No sorting is required.
Shredded paper: Place shredded paper in clear plastic bags, and close securely.
Materials Not Accepted
- Plastic bags/plastic sheeting
- Unnumbered plastics
- Styrofoam™ and polystyrene
- Glass and ceramic cookware and dishes, mirrors, window glass, lightbulbs
- Wax or plastic-coated cardboard or paper; photographs
- Facial and toilet tissue, paper towels, plates, cups or any paper in contact with food, gift wrap
- Aluminum foil
- Trash/Organics (food and waste)
- Electronics and small appliances
- Clothing, fabric, carpets and shoes (see Yes and No list for complete list)
- Scissors, sharps, aerosol cans
- Household hazardous waste
A recycling trailer for community use is located in the parking lot of Emporia's east Dillon's grocery store from Thursday at noon to Saturday at 10 am.
Recycling trailers are also located in area communities.
County Trailer Schedule
- Strong City: 1st and 3rd Thursday
- Cottonwood Falls: 2nd and 4th Thursday
- Cedar Point
- 1st Tuesday in June, August, September, November and December
- 2nd Tuesday in July and October
- Matfield Green:
- 3rd Tuesday in July and October
- 4th Tuesday in June, August, September, November and December
- Lake Kahola: July 4 and 5 and September 5 and 6
- Olpe: Every Monday except Holidays (Trailers are staged on the Friday before Holidays)
- Admire: 1st and 3rd Tuesday
- Neosho Rapids: 2nd and 4th Tuesday
- Americus: 1st and 3rd Wednesday
- Hartford: 2nd and 4th Wednesday
- Reading: 1st and 3rd Thursday
- Northern Heights: 2nd and 4th Thursday
Drop-Off Recycling Options
Many items can be recycled at drop-off locations throughout town. Some of the more common items:
- Books to the Public Library
- Clothing, housewares, furniture, working electronics and small appliances to organizations such as The Salvation Army or Goodwill.
- Plastic sacks to Walmart, Dillon's or JC Penney
- Yard waste to the City landfill/Transfer station
- Hazardous waste to facility at 3000 W South Avenue
Not sure if an item can be recycled? Use the Emporia Recycling Directory.