The mission of the Natural Resources Advisory Board is to develop, promote and provide guidance on sustainable projects to create better infrastructure, neighborhoods, parks, and healthy places to work and live.
The Recycling Advisory Board was established on October 17, 1990 by Ordinance Number 90-20. April 20, 2005 the board was renamed the Natural Resources Advisory Board by Ordinance Number and changed the number of people to serve on the board. The main purpose of the advisory board will be to improve public information in preserving our natural resources.
The board shall consist of not less than 8 members, and not more than 12 members. Eight of the members may be appointed by the governing body of the City, two members may be appointed by the governing body of Lyon County, and two members may be appointed by the governing body of Chase County.
Members serve a three-year term which expires December 31. Members shall serve no more than two successive three-year terms.
If you are interested in serving on NRAB, please contact the City of Emporia at 620-343-4285.
Member of Natural Resources Advisory Board
Board members are citizens appointed by commissions of City of Emporia, Lyon and Chase Counties.
- Advise the City Commission on all matters pertaining to natural resources and environmental protection issues of concern to the City
- Analyze various natural resources issues and to aid and guide the development of city-wide natural resources programs to address currently existing and potential natural resources and environmental issues
- To promote citizen participation and public education on city-wide natural resources and environmental protection issues
- To be aware of and coordinate with various partners and local agencies
- To form such other duties and functions and have such other powers as provided by the City Commission
- Serves without compensation.
- Serves a three-year term and is limited to two consecutive terms.
- Attends monthly meetings as needed.
- Participates in board activities.
- Encourages involvement of citizens by taking part in shows, parades and other activities within the scope of the board.
- City of Emporia Community Development Coordinator
- Other city and county staff when needed
Emporia Community Development Department 620-343-4285