The City’s contractor began the project the week of September 18, 2023, to include the construction of a new water main along 12th Avenue from Topeka Street to Peyton Street, along Peyton Street from 12th Avenue to 6th Avenue, and along South Avenue from Peyton Street to Carter Street.
Continued work on the project, will cause the following traffic impacts:
- The City’s contractor is expected to open 12th Avenue to one (1) lane each direction along the project near the end of the workday on Monday, October 30, 2023.
- After 12th Avenue is open to one lane in each direction, the City’s contractor will close the Peyton Street and 12th Avenue intersection for two (2) to three (3) weeks, weather permitting, to construct the new 16” water main across Peyton Street at 12th Avenue.
- Peyton Street southbound truck traffic from 12th Avenue must use the detour on Commercial Street/K-99 Hwy while the Peyton Street and 12th Avenue intersection is temporarily closed.
- Along 12th Avenue within the project, lane shifts and drop of the center turn lane may occur.
- Truck detours will be in effect during phases of the project.
At times, the City’s contractor will be making new watermain and service line connections that will temporarily impact some residential and commercial water service in the project area. The City of Emporia wants to thank businesses, community members, and partner agencies for their patience during these service interruptions as the waterline construction progresses.
The project is expected to last into Spring 2024, weather permitting. Please, follow all construction traffic control as posted and find alternate routes if possible.
For updates to traffic and utility changes during this project, download the MyAlerts app for City updates.
For questions, please contact the City of Emporia Engineering Department at 620-343-4260 or email the Engineering Department, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m.